Adjacent to the Florida Governor's Mansion is a property which for almost two centuries has been known as,"The Grove." The Grove was built in the 1820s as the family home of Florida's third territorial governor, Richard Keith Call. In the twentieth century, the residence again served as the Governor's Mansion, (between 1955-1956), while construction of the current Governor's mansion was underway.
The Greek-revival style, brick home remained in family hands through seven successive generations. The era of family history at the Grove came to an end in November of 2009, with the passing of Mrs. Mary Call Collins, great-granddaughter of Richard Keith Call, and wife of Governor LeRoy Collins. Today the State of Florida has assumed responsibility for the preservation of the Grove, and its presentation of history for the educational benefit of citizens and visitors to this state.
Historically Florida, Florida's History Shops are operated by Friends of the Museums of Florida History, Inc., a not-for-profit corporation described under
501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code, providing financial support for the Museum of Florida History and its historic sites and other special programs of
the Division of Cultural Affairs, Florida Department of State.